FILE PHOTO: Interior Secretary Sally Jewell speaks during a ceremony commemorating the 150th anniversary of the dedication of the Soldiers National Cemetery and President Abraham Lincoln's Gettysburg Address, Tuesday, Nov. 19, 2013, in Gettysburg, Pa. Lincoln's speech was first delivered in Gettysburg nearly five months after the major battle that left tens of thousands of men wounded, dead or missing.
Rachel is a reporter and host for WITF. She previously reported for the Radio Pennsylvania network, where her work earned the National Association of State Radio Network’s award for best feature two years in a row. Rachel started her career with the CBS affiliate in Bridgeport, WV. She is a graduate of Temple University in Philadelphia.
(Harrisburg) — For the second year in a row, Gettysburg’s annual Remembrance Day parade will be rerouted because of threats.
Parade organizers say the Gettysburg Police Department asked them to take the same, shorter route used last year. Police did not disclose the nature of the threats.
“It’s not frustrating. It’s just the way it is,” said Henry Shaw, deputy commander of parade sponsor Sons of Veterans Reserve. “You learn to roll with the punches, for heaven’s sake.”
Shaw added he’s not intimidated by the threats.
“We’re not standing down,” he said. “The law enforcement folks are there, they take care of security. We don’t. We march in the parade, by George.”
Organizers are asking attendees to report to police if they see anything suspicious.
Remembrance Day events are meant to honor all the soldiers of the Civil War, and mark the anniversary of President Abraham Lincoln’s Gettysburg Address.
The parade is slated to begin at 1 p.m. on Saturday, November 17th.